Nine international artists—Erik Demaine and Martin Demaine (Canada/USA), Vincent Floderer (France), Miri Golan (Israel), Paul Jackson (UK/Israel), Dr. Robert J. Lang (USA), Yuko Nishimura (Japan), Richard Sweeney (UK) and Jiangmei Wu (China/US)—push the boundaries of paper as a medium to create bold, provocative works.
These artists redefine a traditional Japanese craft as a modern global genre, inventing unexpected forms of artistic expression. Their works can be found in the permanent collections of prominent museums such as the Smithsonian American Art Museum’s Renwick Gallery and the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
- These nine celebrated master folders comprise a cross-section of contemporary origami artists: they range in age from 29 to 71, hail from four different continents, and work in six different countries.
- Each artist will create pieces specifically for this tour—their collective works have never been seen before anywhere in the world.
- Their origami creations present original “above the fold” commentaries on diverse aspects of modern life and art.
- Six of the artists were featured in Vanessa Gould’s Peabody award-winning documentary film Between the Folds.
- Vanessa Gould, director of Between the Folds, and all of the Above the Fold artists are available for symposia, lectures, and exhibition-related events at your venue.
Above the Fold was developed by International Arts & Artists and independent curator, author, and educator Meher McArthur, former curator of East Asian Art at Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena, California. McArthur is also the curator of IA&A’s traveling exhibition Folding Paper: The Infinite Possibilities of Origami.
January 20, 2015 – April 24, 2015
Hermitage Museum & Gardens, Norfolk, VA
May 2, 2015 – July 26, 2015
Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences, Charleston, WV
September, 4 2015 – November 29, 2015
Longmont Museum & Cultural Center, Longmont, CO
February 12, 2016 – May 1, 2016
Japanese American National Museum, Los Angeles, CA
May 28, 2016 – August 21, 2016
Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens, Delray Beach, FL
October 11, 2016 – January 29, 2017
Allentown Art Museum, PA
March 3, 2017 – May 26, 2017
Visual Arts Center at Washington Pavilion, Sioux Falls, SD
June 24, 2017 – September 16, 2017
Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, OH
February 17, 2018 – May 13, 2018
Maui Arts & Cultural Center, Kahului, HI
September 1, 2018 – December 1, 2018
Art Gallery of Hamilton, Hamilton, Ontario
February 2, 2019 – May 25, 2019
Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL
June 22, 2019 – September 29, 2019
Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wausau, WI
December 7, 2019 – February 23, 2020
MassLive, by Kathryn Roy, January 2015
New Expressions in Origami
Artscope, by Marquerite Serkin, March/April 2015
“Above the Fold” origami exhibit shows power of paper
Gazette-Mail, by Kenny Kemp, September 2015
Origami Exhibit is Above the Fold
VEER Magazine, by Betsy DiJulio, November 2015