Visa Extensions
Program participants can request an extension of their current internship or training placement. The maximum period of stay possible is 5 years for J-1 scholars.

Extensions are at the discretion of IA&A following U.S. Department of State regulations. Approval of an extension request is not guaranteed.

Follow the instructions below to submit an extension request for review.

Step 1
Submit application for extensions at least four weeks before the end of your current program in the U.S. via email to Please include:

  • An essay (maximum 500 words) explaining what you have learned thus far, what you will learn by extending, and what you plan to do after you finish your J-1 program. The essay must be typed and then signed and dated.
  • Financial guarantor documents. Your guarantor must be a family member or close friend that resides in your country of residence. You cannot be your own guarantor and this requirement is for all candidates, paid or unpaid. Your guarantor must provide the following documents:
    • Guarantor’s statement of financial responsibility stating that the guarantor will take full responsibility for the participant throughout their stay in the U.S. on IA&A’s program. The letter must also state the guarantor’s relationship to the applicant.
    • Photo ID (passport or driver’s license) of guarantor.
    • Bank statement proving funds of at least $1000 USD per month of placement plus an additional $1000 USD to cover the 30-day grace period.
  • A new invitation letter from your host organization.
Step 2
Once your application for program extension is accepted, you will be issued an invoice for the extension fee and you will need to extend your insurance for the duration of your extended program plus the 30-day grace period.

If you do not submit your extension request at least four weeks before the end of your current program in the U.S. you will be billed for expedited processing.

Step 3

When health insurance is approved and fees are paid, IA&A will send new Scholar Agreements to both you and your host.

Step 4

Once we receive the signed Scholar Agreements from you and your host, IA&A will issue you a new DS-2019 Form.

Traveling During Your Extension
If you intend to travel outside of the U.S. on your extension, please make sure you contact the U.S. embassy in the country you are going to visit to schedule an appointment to reapply for your J-1 trainee/intern visa. In order to obtain a new visa, you will have to pay the MRV fee again. On the other hand, you can use your old SEVIS fee receipt and thus you do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again.
Resources for Applicants

Read through the application steps before submitting your online application. Contact IA&A if you have any questions.


Application Process


Health Insurance


After U.S. Arrival


Online Application